WIC helps supply nutritious foods so that pregnant women, new moms and young children eat well, learn about nutrition and stay healthy.  WIC helps children reach their full growth potential and WIC children enter school ready to learn and show better cognitive performance.

You are invited to see if you are eligible for services through a Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.

WIC is a federally funded program designed to improve the nutritional health of financially eligible women, infants and children up to age 5.  

Who is eligible for WIC?

  • Pregnant women 
  • Women who are breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age
  • Women who have had a baby or miscarriage in the past six months
  • Children under the age of 5
  • Income Guidelines

Some of the services provided to eligible clients at no cost include:

  • Nutrition education and guidance.
  • Health screenings which include height/weight and BMI (Body Mass Index) charting as well as hemoglobin testing.
  • Breastfeeding education and support.  Check out the Breastfeeding Support Group Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/West-Plains-WIC-Breastfeeding-Support-Group-1689957717932704/?fref=ts
  • Food Package:  WIC participants receive a WIC card to purchase specific foods at the grocery store each month which are designed to supplement their diets.  Different food packages are provided for different categories of participants.  WIC foods may include:
    • Milk
    • Eggs
    • Juice
    • Cereal
    • Dry Beans/Canned Beans
    • Cheese
    • Yogurt
    • Peanut Butter
    • Tuna
    • Whole Grain Bread, Tortillas, Brown Rice
    • Fresh/Frozen Fruits/Vegetables
    • Tofu
    • Infant Formula
    • Infant Cereal
    • Infant Fruits/Vegetables
    • Infant Meats
  • Referrals for health care.

Services are provided at our three locations:

  • West Plains
  • Mountain View
  • Willow Springs

Call Howell County Health Department to schedule an appointment.  Applicants must bring the following to the certification appointment:

  • Proof of Identity for women – Bring a driver’s license, work/school ID card, military card, passport, social security card, birth certificate or voter registration card
  • Proof of Identity for child/infant – Bring shot record or birth certificate for 2 months and older.  Bring a crib card from the hospital for infants younger than 2 months
  • Proof of Residency – Bring the most recent utility bill, monthly rent/mortgage payment,, or reliable third party piece of mail that has your name and current address on it
  • Proof of Income – Bring the last month’s employment/unemployment pay stubs, DFS benefits award letter, social security/SSI letter, or child support/alimony letter.  If self employed, bring a copy of your federal tax form.

This Institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Howell County Health Department


180 Kentucky Street

West Plains, MO  65775


For additional information on these services, contact:

Phyllis Crider
WIC Coordinator
Email:  wichowellcounty@lpha.mo.gov

Here are some additional programs that can help if you cannot afford formula:

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP):  this program was formerly called food stamps.  Go to this link https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF):  offers temporary cash assistance to qualified families.  Go to this link https://mydss.mo.gov/temporary-assistance

What if I don’t quality for benefits:  check your local food banks for baby food, infant formula, diapers and other supplies. You can find a list at https://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank

You can also dial 2-1-1 to talk to a community resource specialist who can help you find local resources.

Nondiscrimination (English)

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:
This institution is an equal opportunity provider
For Nondiscrimination in Spanish go to:  https://health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/frauddatalinks/nondiscrimination/